Sunday, October 2, 2011

The answer is no.


No, no, no.
Finn is not sleeping through the night. Therefore, I am not sleeping through the night.
Most days, I'm OK with this, particularly when it slips my mind. Asking me about how I'm sleeping or if he's sleeping through the night YET (as though every other infant in the world already is, and he's some sort of weirdo for continuing to wake up for late night/early morning snacks) reminds me of the days not so long ago when I slept and woke at my own whim, not someone else's and makes me feel more tired).  Dude, he's only three months old and I'm nursing, therefore he still wakes up. There are good nights (10 hours of sleep!!!), and not so good nights (3...blurg), but for the most part, I'm surviving and still manage to have a semblance of a social life.  Ask me again in three months, and I hope to god I'm saying  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other news, we're working on our air swallowing situation, and after speaking to a lactation consultant at the hospital where Finn was born, we determined that I'm actually making too much milk.  Now, for a girl whose one huge fear was running out of milk and having to supplement with formula, this was music to my ears, but it's definitely something we've needed to work on.  He's still occasionally swallowing air, but we got some great suggestions, and now my supply has diminished enough so that my boobs aren't aching to the point of popping anymore.  Hurrah!

So now that we've hit the elusive 3 month marker that we've been waiting for, I think I'm starting to get it.  Things are getting a lot more fun - smiles, laughter, interaction, recognition (even though the Pooh on the mobile above his changing table still gets the majority of the squeals of delight).  It's definitely getting easier, and definitely getting more fun...most of the time.

I promise I'll be better about updating - starting a new job and Finn's increased interaction have taken me away from my abundance of free time, but I'm getting back to it, and want to thank you all for joining me on this crazy ride!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (spelling fixed!!)

    I know this is totally random, but just wanted to let you know that I followed the NPR baby blog all summer. I had my first baby Aug 5th and learned so much and really enjoyed relating to so many of the worries and experiences. I have to say though that I always looked forward to your updates. You are so articulate and a great balance of honest and positive. Thanks for keeping up the blogging. Finn is so precious, don't you just love babies?! :)

    PS: i was paranoid about not making enough milk too so I pumped and pumped and when my mom saw how much breast milk was in my deep freeze she laughed pretty hard. I'm starting to get the hang of it too!

    ReplyDelete