Wednesday, July 25, 2012

f

So, like, we went to Finn's year "well child" appointment today and he's doing great overall - healthy, happy, sociable, etc.
But he sort of "failed" (like there was a red "X" on his chart). And it kind of stresses me out.

To summarize: Finn's not crawling, not walking, not "creeping", not pulling up to stand, and to be totally honest, hasn't even really ever rolled over from back to front.
We make excuses like he didn't get a lot of tummy time, he was swaddled, he's carried everywhere and gets all of his needs taken care of without having to move. It makes us feel better and sound like super doting parents (which we totally are).
When I tell people that he's not really moving around yet, they tell me, "Oh just wait - he'll be all over the place in no time" or "Thank your lucky stars", both of which make me feel better because
a) I don't really want him moving around yet. Our house is SO the opposite of toddler-proof (like glass bottles arranged all artful-like on top of free standing bookshelves).
and b) I've heard SO many stories from parents who say that their kids took their time, too and wound up being upstanding citizens and all that.

I like the idea of Finn marching to the beat of his own drum.

But I worry.

I guess that's what parenthood is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment