Tuesday, January 29, 2013

lots of changes, max

10 points if you guess the source of the quote in the title line.

So remember that time when I said I was going to be unemployed come the new year? Yeah, well, that wasn't exactly true.

My big plan was to work 2-3 days a week with Chad, building, and give a few massages a week as I build my business, but then this whole pregnancy thing came along and I had to figure out what to do about a means of income while I'm in my "delicate" condition.

Last time, I had a perfect situation - the French teacher at the school was pregnant with her first, due in March, and I took over for her during her maternity leave...
wait...this sounds awfully familiar.
Could it be because this time, the French teacher at the school was pregnant (until yesterday - welcome, Brady!!), and now I'm covering for her again while she's on maternity leave?  Yes, that could be it.

It's bittersweet, this transition. I've been full time at the school now for five days and have been having a grand old time teaching French to K-12 students. It's definitely a lot easier this time - I know what to expect, I know most of the students' names, and it's the same time of year that I taught last time, so all the projects, exams, and general class content is the same.

The only difference is that I've been a most-of-the-time stay at home mom for the last 18 months. I've had a a few jobs that took me out of the house for a couple of days a week, but overall they were very flexible and this is certainly the first time I've been away from Finn full-time.

I have a whole new respect for moms (and dads!) who work full-time. There is SO MUCH TO DO in the limited amount of time available. I've found myself laying out outfits the night before, getting the coffee and breakfast prepped, and boy, I've been using my crock pot. Then there's laundry, dishes, general clean up, and of course, spending as much quality time as possible with the kiddo in the midst of trying to get it all done. How, in the name of all that is holy, any single parent does this on his or her own, I have no idea (Mom, you are a super hero). It no longer surprises me that fast food and convenience meals are so pervasive in our society - there's just not enough time for everything.

I'll just get back down off my soapbox now and get back to my own experience. Overall, I think we've come up with some strategies that work - a food plan, for sure, and doing as much ahead of time as possible. I try to do the dishes right after any given meal so they don't pile up by the end of the day, and get lunches and bags packed the evening before so there's as little rushing around as possible. It's tight, but it's temporary, and for that I'm grateful. I'm grateful for the opportunity to make money doing something I like that is appropriate for my "condition", for a limited amount of time, and that I get to look forward to spending the last two months of my pregnancy hanging out with the coolest little boy I know (and hopefully giving some massages).

The best part of this teaching thing? We get to start the day playing volleyball. So. Fun. Even though I got smacked in the face with it this morning. Still so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment